As governors, our role is to challenge and support the school in its continued development and improvement, ensuring there is a focus on the school’s vision, ethos and strategic direction.
The Governing Body carries out its role by setting the vision for the school and then ensuring that the school works efficiently and effectively towards achieving its vision. It does this by building a thorough knowledge of the school and its community, by both supporting and constructively challenging the school, and by ensuring accountability and compliance.
Some of the things we do include:
- Meeting regularly to assess the way in which the school is developing and in particular reviewing pupil progress and teaching standards.
- Attending training to ensure that we are up to date on new standards and requirements.
- Having individual governors linked with particular year groups or specialities for example Special Educational Needs & Disabilities. Governors meet with teachers and can observe lessons, ensuring that there is a strong personal link.
- Holding a Governors in School day at least once per academic year where all governors spend a whole day in the school.
- Attending parents’ evenings so there is an informal opportunity to meet governors.
- Understanding, questioning and approving the effective use of monies received and spent by the school.
Since our inspection in June 2018, Emmbrook Junior School is striving to improve, in order to reclaim our Good rating. We are working with the school to ensure that progress is made at a fast pace, with a focus on our top priorities – improving teaching & learning, effectively using assessment & data and ensuring leadership is distributed through the school team. We firmly believe that the school provides a positive learning environment, combined with a friendly atmosphere.
If you are interested in governorship, information can be found as follows:
- Wokingham Borough Council : link
- National Governance Association : link
- Youtube : link
- By emailing me, Sam Dowse – Chair of Governors at firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair of Governors